Looks like our girl Christina Aguilera is “feeling the moment”!
1. It’s Christina Aguilera’s movie debut. The 29-year-old signed up for Burlesque last year, and I say it’s about time! She plays Ali, an ambitious small-town girl with a big voice. She tries to escape her hollow past by performing in a neo-burlesque club in Los Angeles. Here she is on the set getting glammed up between takes.
2. It’s Cher’s first movie in a long time. Her last film role was for Matt Damon’s Stuck On You in 2003. In the photo above, Cher is on the set for Burlesque in Hollywood in January. She plays Tess, the proprietor of the club. The other burlesque dancers may be 1/3 Cher’s age, but this 63-year-old diva can still work it on those killer stilettos and animal-print outfits.
3. It has an interesting story line. Think Moulin Rouge meets Cabaret. Here’s the plot synopsis from the movie’s IMDB page:
The Burlesque Lounge has its best days behind it. Tess, a retired dancer and owner of the venue, struggles to keep the aging theater alive, facing all kinds of financial and artistic challenges. With the Lounge’s troupe members becoming increasingly distracted by personal problems and a threat coming from a wealthy businessman’s quest to buy the spot from Tess, the good fortune seems to have abandoned the club altogether. Meanwhile, the life of Ali, a small-town girl from Iowa, is about to change dramatically. Hired by Tess as a waitress at the Lounge, Ali escapes a hollow past and quickly falls in love with the art of burlesque. Backed by newfound friends amongst the theater’s crew, she manages to fulfill her dreams of being on stage herself. Things take a dramatic turn though when Ali’s big voice makes her become the main attraction of the revue.
4. The movie features a stellar cast. There’s red-haired Julianne Hough as Georgia, a brunette Kristen Bell as Nikki, the hunky Cam Gigandet as Jack, and Alan Cumming as Alexis, among other big names.
5. An awesome soundtrack is in the works. The movie’s writer/director/actor Steven Antin may get inspiration from his sister Robin who created the burlesque troupe The Pussycat Dolls in 1995. And with the likes of Cher and Christina Aguilera on the team, you know the soundtrack can’t go wrong.
Check out behind-the-scenes clips, courtesy of ET. Burlesque is coming out this Thanksgiving.
* all photos courtesy of Screen Gems
Just when you thought that motherhood and family life has tamed her down, Christina Aguilera brings some naughtiness back to her career. Her “Dirrrty” days are long gone, but who said you can’t unleash some mischief?
On her official website, she unveiled the artwork for “Not Myself Tonight,” the first single of her upcoming album, Bionic. Like a page off Rihanna’s book, Christina’s wearing a sexy dominatrix outfit with drawn-on devil ears and a tail.
Wait, there’s more! She also put up a counter to count down the hours, minutes and seconds ‘til her next big announcement. That’s a cool way of keeping the fans in suspense.
Remember this talent show? It aired from 1983-2003, with its peak in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Back in the day when reality TV ceased to exist, viewers would sit on their couches to see which singers, dancers, and comedians would get the best ratings and win Star Search.
TV network ABC wants to revive the show and are looking modern-day judges to give the coveted 4-star ratings. They’ve approached former American Idol judge Paula Abdul to potentially join the show, but she reportedly demanded a hefty paycheck so no deal was made.
Paula Abdul: Nope, I’m not exactly going to go with this show. I really like your dress, though.
The year is starting out right for the popstar. She appears on the February cover of Marie Claire. The blurb “I’m a different person now” tells a lot about the mag’s juicy interview with the 29-year-old.
She talks about motherhood and maturing in the showbiz industry. “In this crazy business, it’s so easy to build up a lot of walls and a lot of bitterness,” she said. “And it’s just no way to be… “[I can now use softer tones] that maybe I’ve been afraid to do in the past, to allow myself to go to a place of ‘less singing.’ I’m more vulnerable and more strong at the same time.”
The cover shoot shows the petite singer hamming it up in front of a grand piano wearing spring’s must-have prints. Check Marie Claire’s behind-the-scenes photos here.
Christina also talks about her new album, Bionic, which will be released in March, and will be featuring collaborations with Goldfrapp, Ladytron, M.I.A, Linda Perry, Tricky Stewart, and The Neptunes. One of the singles is entitled “Glam,” a poppy, hip-hop inflected throwback to Madonna’s “Vogue.” Can’t wait.
Her promotional video for the album is bordering on artistic and disturbing. Check it out:
“Mature” is right. Remember her early days as a post-Mickey Mouse Club member?